Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Purely Organic - Red Rice Pudding with Honey

Just a couple days back a food blog that I ardently follow posted a recipe for Brown Rice Pudding. I have tried making Brown Rice pudding in the past and it turned out really well.  The most important aspect was of course the “guilt-freeness” of this recipe.  Brown Rice is definitely much lower in calorie as compared to regular rice, plus it comes with a truck load of benefits and to make it even more guiltless the blogger added no cream or butter whatsoever, yet got a rich looking pudding.  It still had sugar, damn! Obviously, creative juices were making a cocktail in my system and I decided to put it to rest!  Two items in my pantry that were really calling out to me were the organic Red Rice that I purchased last Sunday at the Farmer’s Market (those of you interested, it happens every Sunday 10am – 3pm in Bandra, near Kobe’s Sizzlers) and freshly extracted honey (pure 15 kgs yelling out at me)! 

Before I get to details of my experiment and describing the flavors I achieved, let me mention that Red Rice has a natural healing remedy for different health ailments. Ailments range from digestive problems, circulatory problems, to high cholesterol levels (read more: Benefits of Red Rice | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5127094_benefits-red-rice.html#ixzz1FRQAKkut) and of course one need not get into the already well-known benefits of honey!

I made the first batch day before.  Disaster!  Note: If Brown Rice takes long to cook, Red Rice takes forever! When I made my first batch, I did not anticipate that it would take me 3 hours to make this pudding…phewww!! And I’m sure you would not want a recipe for something that takes so long to cook, no matter how good the health-benefits appear ;)

So, I made a second batch today. 


With a few alterations – the first thing I did is pre-soaked the Red Rice.  I soaked it over night and it worked like magic!  It took almost the same time to cook as it would take with regular rice pudding.  What I like about Brown and Red Rice is the nuttiness.  The flavor of these ingredients is defined by its rich nut-like texture and taste!  If you have had Badam Halwa or Akrot Halwa…Red Rice pudding is very close to that experience… minus all the ghee of course! And I completely eliminated Sugar and replaced it with Honey…which again brought with it a very unique taste, some-what middle-eastern twist! Additionally flavored with Cardamom powder and Saffron (like most Indian desserts), added a few chopped almonds (would have loved to add Pistachios, but didn’t have any in the pantry) and results were simply finger-licking good J

What I really loved about this recipe, is that apart from being nutriously beneficial, it is also absolutely guilt-free! Low-cal yet filling!  A perfect end to your spicy Indian meal!  Without wasting much time, I’m getting straight to the recipe~

~Ingredients~

1 cup Red Rice
½ cup Honey (or more as per taste)
4 cups Water
2 cups Low-fat Milk (you can use 2% Milk or Soya Milk)
½ tsp Cardamom powder
A pinch of Saffron
½ cup chopped Almonds (save some for garnish separately)

~Method~

1.      Pick out any husk in the rice.  Wash and pre-soak the rice overnight.


2.      Add water to a pan, add rice and let it boil.
3.      Once it reaches boiling point, simmer until all water is soaked by the rice, about 10 – 15 minutes.


4.      Add milk and let it boil once again.


5.      Once it reaches boiling point, simmer until all milk is soaked by the rice, about 10 – 15 minutes.


6.      At this stage the rice should be well-done and soft and mushy.  Add honey, cardamom, saffron and chopped almonds. 


7.      Let it cool, garnish with additional chopped almonds and a drizzle of honey. 




I love it best at room temperature, though some folks at my place prefer it chilled.  As they say some like it hot, some like it cold…however you like it… its full of flavor in every which way!

Would love to hear your feedback and comments J Happy Cooking J














































No comments:

Post a Comment