Wednesday, June 22, 2011

His Royal Persian Highness ~ Shahi Falooda!

 

I never really understood if Falooda needs to be slurrped first or to be eaten first, in any case you need to do both! Haha! I'm definitely not a big fan of ice-cream (surprised!).  Even in scorching summer months I prefer to stick to popsicles and make myself fresh fruit juices than fall for ice-cream.  The only form of Kulfi or ice-cream that I really gorge on is when it has been added to my favorite Shahi Falooda, also known as Royal Falooda in some places. 
Badshah's Variety
My earliest memories of Falooda are from our friendly neighborhood juice center.  As a kid, it was a "royal" privilege to be treated to Falooda (as mom really watched those calories I put in, but i guess all in vain :P).  For my birthday, we would often go to Crawford Market in south Bombay to buy return gifts for my party.  As though buying return gifts and in return buying a whole load of South east asian made school stationary stuff for me, wasn't quite thrilling enough, we had to have more.  The real show stealer of the trip was a stop at to our favorite restaurant Badshah~the best Falooda place in town (hopefully till date)!!!   Just as the name would suggest Badshah's "Royal Badshah Falooda" was an ultimate regal indulgence!!!
Though I haven’t been to Badshah in years, I still crave a good Falooda.  Even more so after my terrible Falooda experience quite recently at the same friendly neighborhood juice center.  Either my standards have changed drastically or he has dropped his quality by leaps and bounds.  Plainly put it disappointed me to great lengths but also motivated me to come home and make my very own Falooda the very next day!  With a little help of creativity and remembering what Badshah’s Falooda tasted like, I came up with my own ~ Shahi Falooda!  Do give it a royal try and you wouldn’t regret it J

Ingredients: (Serves 4)
400 ml cold milk (skim or full)
½ cup falooda sev or vermicelli noodles
6 tsp rose syrup (rooafzah or mapro)
2 tsp falooda seeds (also called takmaria or sabjah or basil seeds)
2 cups Strawberry Jelly (or any other flavor you prefer)
¼ cup mixed dry fruits (cashew, almonds, raisins and pistachio)
¼ cup tutti-frutti (dried fruit peels or dehydrated fruits)
4 scoops of Kesar Pista ice-cream (or kulfi, or any other flavor, preferably not chocolate)

Method:
  1. Soak the sabjah seeds in water for at least 1 hour. 
  2. Boil the noodles/sev in water for about 5 minutes (optionally add yellow food color to make it colorful). Drain the water, and run it under ice cold water and keep aside. 
  3. Finely chop dry fruits.
  4. To assemble Falooda: In a tall glass, place ½  cup jelly at the bottom, top with noodles, Rose syrup and sabjah seeds.  Pour in 100 ml milk, top with a scoop of ice-cream or kulfi.  
  5. Decorate with Tutti-frutti and chopped dry fruits.   
  6. Eat or slurp or alternate between both, enjoy! J
Do read more about Badshah Falooda at the following blog~ http://onlybombay.blogspot.com/2008/12/badshah-falooda-crawford-market-mumbai.html

1 comment: